Is It for You?
Study at Canada’s leading university fashion program, ranked one of the Best Fashion Schools in the World 2019 by The Business of Fashion. We integrate inclusive, decolonized and sustainable perspectives throughout our curriculum, research, and creative activities as well as industry and community partnerships. You can take courses from optional concentrations in Fashion Communication, Fashion Design, Fashion Studies, Design Leadership, or Textiles and Material Practices. Gain hands-on experience with 250 hours of internship and career-focused workshops integrated into the program. We nurture students to become leading fashion designers, creatives and business leaders by encouraging you to hone your creativity and connecting you with the global fashion industry.
Full Time: Four Year
Bachelor of Design
Portfolio pieces, statement of intent
Stay Connected with Our Community
Our student ambassadors are on board to give you a taste of all that 日博电竞登录下载靠谱 University (TMU) has to offer. Learn about the city of Toronto, transitioning to university, the student experience and more!
What You Need to Know
Ranked in The Best Fashion Schools in the World 2019 , external link, opens in new window by Business of Fashion.
*Actual minimum grade ranges required for fall 2023 admission/wait list consideration will be determined based on grades and qualifications presented by the applicant pool as they become available. Required grade ranges may fluctuate from year to year (up or down) as a result of competition. Applicants not educated in Ontario may present the equivalent of the Ontario requirements. TMU reserves the right to determine equivalency at its sole discretion.
Tuition and Fees 2022/2023
Domestic Ontario Students Fees Range:
$7,103 - $7,821
Domestic Out-of-Province Students Fees Range: $7,600 - $8,328
International Students Fees Range: $31,841 - $32,453
For detailed fees information visit Tuition and Fees by Program .
Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent with a minimum of six Grade 12 U or M courses including the following program specific requirements.
Typically, a minimum overall average of 70% establishes eligibility for admission consideration; subject to competition individual programs may require higher prerequisite grades and/or higher overall averages:
A minimum grade of 70% or higher will be required in Grade 12 U English/anglais (ENG4U/EAE4U preferred)
- Recommended: art/visual arts and sewing courses, if available.
Academic admission requirements for all other applicants are available at: Admission Requirements.
Non-Academic Requirements for fall 2023 are coming soon! Please use the following instructions from fall 2022 as a temporary guide and check back here soon for updates.
In addition to meeting competitive academic requirements, you are required to submit the following non-academic requirements. Your ability to follow and adhere to the requirements is part of the assessment of your application.
Your non-academic requirements are due by February 1, 2022 or 10 business days from your application submission date, whichever comes later.
The portfolio is an essential part of your application and it represents an opportunity to display your creativity, exploratory research and technical skills. It is the place to showcase your concepts and critical thinking and express your interest in Fashion. Your portfolio contains a combination of visual and written work, including both process and finished pieces.
Questions? Contact email@example.com with questions about the portfolio.
Four Portfolio Pieces:
Submit four (4) finished pieces of your best creative work or samples of writing that display your skills and interest in Fashion. We really want to see how your ideas develop and so you are encouraged to also submit process work along with the finished pieces to demonstrate the evolution of your ideas. Be sure to label your process work accordingly.
Your process may be demonstrated through:
- sketching multiple concepts
- material exploration
- photos of work in progress
- credited images of inspiration
- notes and related research
Portfolio Content Options
Some suggested portfolio items are listed below, but you may also choose to submit work that is not listed here. We suggest choosing multiple categories to represent your skills and creativity. If you choose to submit multiple items from the same category show us different skills.
Clothing & Accessories
- Sewn Garment: From a commercial pattern or your original design
- Creative Reuse: Upcycled garment or accessory
Notes: Display on a dress form or body. Photograph front, back and detail views. Include a short description.
- Branding: Design a logo and advertisement using your original imagery and text
- Social Media Campaign: Promote an idea through a social platform of your choice. Include graphics and a written description of your strategy
- Traditional Art Media: Painting, printmaking, sculpture, etc.
- Illustration/Drawing: Fashion figure and garment design, accessory, or product illustration
- Photography: Abstract, editorial or product-focused
Accessory or Textile Design
- Accessory Design: An illustration, computer rendering or photographs of a physical prototype of your design for jewellery, hat, purse, etc. Include a short description along with images showing the overall design and details
- Textile Design: Your original block print, digital design, weaving, embroidery etc. Include a short description along with sketches, prints or photographs showing the overall design and details
- Academic Writing: An essay demonstrating your skills in research and writing
- Creative Writing: An example of fiction, non-fiction, or poetry
- Fashion Journalism: An article you’ve written for a blog, print etc.
- New Business or Product Idea: Include a 1-2 page description and concept sketches or photos
- Marketing Plan for a Fashion Brand: Include a 1-2 page description and concept sketches or photos
- Describe your role or contribution to a Fashion event that you planned, coordinated, or participated in. Include a 1-2 page description plus photographs and other related materials
Your Own Choice
- The categories listed above are just suggestions. You are welcome to submit any work that represents your skills and creativity!
Drawing upon your personal experiences, tell us about:
- Your interest in Fashion
- Why you want to pursue a Bachelor of Design in Fashion
Please consider an important issue affecting Fashion and its potential solutions, such as:
- Cultural Appropriation
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Fashion Activism
- Or any other issue of your choice
- 500 word essay
- All work must be your own
- Visual work should be carefully photographed or scanned and prepared
- Written work should be carefully proofread
- Portfolio submissions will be assessed on their originality, creativity, level of complexity, technical proficiency and neatness
- Non-academic requirements including portfolios are only accepted online. No physical submissions will be accepted
- Ensure that all guidelines have been followed
- Only complete submissions will be accepted and reviewed
- You will not be permitted to re-submit missing or incomplete work
Your non-academic submission will be retained by the School of Fashion for the purpose of verifying authenticity. There will be no exceptions to this policy. Upon admission and registration in the program, if any element of the portfolio or statement of intent is found to be plagiarized (not wholly your own), your admission/registration in the program will be cancelled.
The non-academic requirements assessment fee is $50 CDN and must be paid in order for your submission to be reviewed. Here’s how to pay:
Access your ChooseTMU Applicant Portal account (instructions to access the portal can be found below under Submission Instructions ).
Click on the button to link to the eForms Centre .
Next, click on the eForms Centre tile.
Then click on the Non-Academic Fee Form link.
Do not submit non-academic material until after you have submitted your application for admission. You will receive an email acknowledgement of your application that will include your TMU Student Number. Please include your TMU Student Number on all materials you submit.
You are required to submit your portfolio and statement of intent via SlideRoom.
Go to SlideRoom , external link, opens in new window and create an account (or sign in if you already have one).
- 1024 > < 1024 px at 72 ppi is a good standard to use as a general guideline for browser based-viewing
- Images larger than 1280 > < 1280 > < 72 ppi will be resized in SlideRoom
- Images (up to 10MB each)
- Video (up to 500MB each)
- Audio (up to 60MB each)
- PDFs (up to 20MB each)
- You may also link to media from YouTube, Vimeo and SoundCloud
- Use PDFs where possible for multi-page documents
- Process Work is recommended as a multi-page PDF
- PNGs are great for preserving the quality of your work
- Do not submit working files (.ai, .psd, .indd, .docx)
Label all portfolio pieces so that it is clear which pieces belong together.
Use the following format for labeling your pieces:
- Portfolio_Piece1*_Ryerson Student Number [*replace the number for each piece (2,3,4)]
For additional uploads related to the same portfolio piece:
- Portfolio_Piece1a_Ryerson Student Number
- Portfolio_Piece1b_Ryerson Student Number
Label all process work .
Use the following format for labeling your process work:
- Process_1* _Ryerson Student Number [replace the number for each piece (2,3,4)]
For additional uploads related to the same process work:
- Process_1a_Ryerson Student Number
- Process_1b_Ryerson Student Number
Continue to review your ChooseTMU Applicant Portal account for updates about your application.
Here’s how to access your ChooseTMU Applicant Portal account:
- Get your TMU Student Number in the email acknowledgement of your application
- Activate your TMU Online Identity. Fill in the Activation Form on the Accounts website. When asked for your Student/Applicant ID, enter your nine-digit TMU Student Number. Keep a record of your user name and password
- 24 hours after activating your TMU Online Identity, visit the ChooseTMU Applicant Portal
If you are applying for readmission or reinstatement, you are not required to submit non-academic requirements. You must inform the program department of your intentions.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org by February 1, 2022, or 10 business days from your application submission date (whichever comes later).
Students graduate from the program with a breadth and depth of knowledge and skills, and you’ll be prepared for ever-changing and dynamic careers in the fashion industry such as fashion design; art/creative direction; social and environmental advocacy; event management; brand strategy and design; textile and surface design; and photography. You may work as a visual merchandiser, buyer, brand strategist, or art director, or you may choose to pursue graduate studies.
Explore 日博电竞登录下载靠谱 University's unique urban campus in the heart of downtown Toronto from the comfort of your own home!