As we wrap up Ryerson’s first fiscal quarter for the year, we’re sharing a few habits that can help you stay on top of tasks related to cost centres, department budgets or your Ryerson Purchasing Card (P-Card) expenditures.
1. Clear P-Card transactions promptly
Even though P-Card statements run on a monthly basis, it’s recommended that you reconcile purchases throughout the month to keep your cost centre accurately updated with your true funds available balance.
Purchases made on your P-Card are directly linked to the Ryerson University Financial Information System (RUFIS) , which means you won’t have to manually key-in transaction details. To reconcile your P-Card expenses, log in to RUFIS to clear your transactions for approval.
2. Stay on top of salary reconciliations after month-end close
If you manage a cost centre from which employees are paid, it’s important to reconcile salaries after the last scheduled pay date for each month. Doing so means you can keep an eye on whether your budget is sufficient or if additional funds are required for expenses incurred during that time period.
- Set reminders in your calendar , external link for the last pay date each month. Ryerson’s pay schedule is published annually by Human Resources.
- Speak with your financial advisor or research accounting financial analyst for a spreadsheet template that can help you track monthly salary reconciliations.
3. Review encumbrances on a quarterly basis
Whenever you create a purchase order (PO), an encumbrance is generated in the financial system to commit funds to your purchase. Each quarter, be sure to review all your open PO encumbrances. If any goods or services have been fully received and invoiced, please notify your financial advisor or research accounting financial analyst of any POs that can be closed.
You might have more funds to dedicate to a new project or purchase than you realize! Closing PO encumbrances once invoices are paid will help show the true available balance in your budget.
4. Simplify purchases that total less than $5,000 CAD
As of September 1, 2019, purchases less than $5,000 CAD must be ordered and paid for using a P-Card, and reconciled in RUFIS. If credit cards are not accepted, try out the self-service invoice (SSI) entry method:
- Place an order directly with your vendor and have the vendor’s invoice sent to your department.
- Prior to submitting an SSI entry, check whether your vendor is set up in the Invoice Approval System . If the vendor is new to Ryerson, please have them complete a Vendor Application Form , external link .
- Once goods are received, enter the vendor’s invoice using the self-service invoice (SSI) entry process in the Invoice Approval System (MarkView). Be sure to upload a copy of the vendor’s invoice with your SSI entry prior to submitting for approval.
- Before using the SSI entry process, you’ll need to complete training on the topic. To attend or refresh your knowledge of SSI training, search for dates and register using the Learning Events Calendar .
Some exceptions apply when using a P-Card or the SSI entry method for low-dollar purchases.